Monday, August 17, 2009

Battle of the Bands



Tonight I found myself honoured to be part of the Puces Pop Rock Lottery, which was a Montreal event that found a bunch of musical people getting mixed and matched randomly to make new 'Super bands'.

Each band got 5 days to write, learn and then perform 2 songs. I was paired up with three folks I have never met before, Soren Brothers, Sunil Sarwal and Tasha Cyr. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. The creative process becomes so raw and immediate when you have to come up, in almost no time, with something cohesive with strangers. This type of constraint pushes forward not only new ways of thinking musically, but offers a chance to work the muscles of compromise and teamwork.

We had a total blast, (they are all amazing folks and great musicians) and wrote some pretty killer stuff I gotta say. We ended up choosing the theme of the Lion King for both our songs, (yes, yes, from Walt Disney) and somehow managed to cram the entire storyline into two 4-minute long ditties.

Highlights from the lyrics we wrote as a group include, "Gotta kill Scar", "One of us must stay and one must go" and "Lion King, I am King!"

I loved my band-mates, the rest of the groups were incredible creative and innovative, and a great time was had by all. And to top off the evening with a nice big cherry (which I actually find disgusting, honestly) we won the contest. Take that high school battle of the bands.

1 comment: