Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Of too much coffee, and a Psalm (or 2) and Rain....


I am going to see M Ward tonight, and I have to admit, I have not been this excited to see a live musician in a long, long time. Listening to Psalm from End of Amnesia right now, and expecting to be interrupted at any moment, which is always what happens when I begin the journey of trying to hear this little gorgeous ditty.

Although "ditty" hardly does it justice. Not that ditty is a bad word, (although it sounds like "dirty", another word that very much has similar prejudices going against it). Her Majesty by the Beatles is a ditty, and is wondrous, and most of Guthrie's tunes could be considered in the hey-ditty-ditty light and would look good there, alright, so I ain't trying to say anything against these pearls of songs.

But this song is not a ditty. And calling it such would just not be placing it into the shoes that it feels most gracious in, really. Songs need to dance the dance they were made to dance. Um....yeah. Perhaps you know what I mean.

and a wee bit too much coffee (1 too many, 2 for the show, 3 there's no chance so there you go).....

No comments:

Post a Comment